D.S.C. Racing
Welcome to DSC Racing's Online Forum.

Please take the time to register and join our Forum.
Within minutes you will be part of our Community

Thank You for Supporting US.
-DSC Racing
D.S.C. Racing
Welcome to DSC Racing's Online Forum.

Please take the time to register and join our Forum.
Within minutes you will be part of our Community

Thank You for Supporting US.
-DSC Racing
D.S.C. Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D.S.C. Racing

HomeDSC HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to DSC Racing's Online Forum

Old school new member

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

Old school new member Empty
PostSubject: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 am

I'm Ray Shawn turbos pop I'm just an old school racer and gear head that is enjoying learning some new things from the tuner car world. I used to laugh at the idea of 4 cyl performance until Shawn got a new 2004 srt-4 and I drove it. Damn was that fun, I am hooked on the performance potential of these cars and Shawn and I are putting the finishing touches on what we hope to be a pretty fast srt-4 drag car.
Back to top Go down
Samlilly2
Admin
Admin
Samlilly2

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.

-Sammie
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Hey Ray! Welcome!!
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Glad to see you on here Ray! Get her tuned today?
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:37 pm

turbo666 wrote:

They are still working on getting that last bug out! I talked to Shawn for a while today... Call Ray if you need anything! We need to get some guys together and grab a bite to eat soon!
Back to top Go down
Samlilly2
Admin
Admin
Samlilly2

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 pm

DSCRACING wrote:
turbo666 wrote:

They are still working on getting that last bug out! I talked to Shawn for a while today... Call Ray if you need anything! We need to get some guys together and grab a bite to eat soon!

Word:

But the food better be "so good it makes you want to slap your momma" for my 4hr drive.

lol!

-Sammie
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 8:21 am

turbo666 wrote:

We had some minor issues the first two sessions, one was ours, we had the AEM twin fire wired to a switch on- start off circuit instead of a switch on- run on ,that was a five min. fix, then we could not set the timing properly that turned out to be a firmware glitch that took about a day and many calls to AEM to correct. Day three was going great got the motor smoothed out, and revved faster then it ever has, I guess losing the A/C and PS was a good thing. then we started tuning in boost comp, but when we got to 4 K and 15lbs boost a geyser erupted from the overflow tank. Long story short it seems we either have a bad head gasket or we lifted the head, it will come apart today so hopefully we will know.
While its down we will have the turbo refreshed also. and my urge to fix it faster whenever it breaks has me thinking a small shot of nitrous affraid
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Oh wow. Got to love drag racing and what it takes to even get her on the track.

What did you find today in the tear down? Sounds like the head lifted to me. What studs? If it's the ARP's they have been know to have issues with the threads not going down far enough on the studs and causing people to torque on the stud rather then the head, if you know what I mean. I have ARP studs in mine, but run the larger DCR nuts and washer. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Def. keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Nigel
We got a late start today but all we have to do tomorrow is remove the cams and the head. So we will know soon.
Shawn thinks you may have a cam setting fixture please e-mail me if you do and let me know if you rent or lend it out. E-mail me at rmccrodden@carolina.rr.com
As usual it looks like we will be fixing it faster, with a bigger turbo and most likely a small shot on N2O any suggestions on the turbo and n2o system would be helpful We now run an AGP 60-1 (Turbonetics)
Thanks
ray
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:46 pm

You guys could def. borrow the tool. Just LMK dig it out.

For a turbo I would do a Precision billet wheel. I'm personally doing a 6262 myself. I won't be able to run the turbo at it's full potential till I built my bottom this winter though.

I think you guys could do a 6262 with a 50-75 shot off the line and be nasty. Google "Precision 6262". Lots of success in the Evo world.
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm

6262+50-75shot = Broken Trans!!! Be prepared... Auto timer with at least 0.5 delay

Srt's are fat cars.. You start going that route and I promise you will turn a fun car into a nightmare!!! Make the car live without spray then add it to it... Run a turbo that needs spray to 60' and the car will be down alot more than it's up!

I've work at DCR for the past year and believe me I know what I'm talking about..
Kevin Warren, Redsled, Squshy, Ptc01... ME.... I've seen the strongest 3speeds not last... The #1 killer is weight, #2 Tire shake, #3 Spray out the gate.

Everybody thinks they have to add more boost and more spray.. Fun level goes down just as fast as the bank account.

I say make a pass with the snail you have before go bigger or Nos....

You can not skip steps. Take baby steps.

I know you will tell me you just want to make a pass, But come on your asking for a bigger snail and a kit... Slow down and have fun while you can.

We have three 700whp SRT's at the shop right now. All are pushing them to hard trying to out run Red Sled, Kevin Warren and Erabbit and not one has even ran a 10.5... So run yours until it has no breath left 10.20-10.30's then move on...

Nothing but love Ray, I just do not want to see you make the same mistakes I've seen so many others make.. P.S. anyone who has ran 9.90 or faster has at least two spare trans.
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Awesome info Damien! I have no experience with the Auto personally, but I understand what your talking about.
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

D
Thanks for the heads up on that The turbonetics is dripping a minor bit of oil and they want $290 just to look at it plus parts and if it is an older Model (3 years or so) they cannot even rebuild it. Some shit huh 20 passes and it could be a paperweight, that's the main reason for thinking about another turbo Just kickin some ideas around and lookin for feedback, we sure do appreciate yours you know that.
Ray
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:52 pm

I remember Shawn saying something about oil... That sucks. Precision Billet wheels FTW!!
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:58 pm

Turbos are like computers now a days. If it's 3 years old it's probably outdated. haha. I hate to hear that though, I wouldn't say the 60-1 is worth the money to fix, or attempt to fix.
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 am

Darrells 1st gen "Green Goblin" went 9.00 with the 60-1
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 am

turbo666 wrote:
Turbos are like computers now a days. If it's 3 years old it's probably outdated. haha. I hate to hear that though, I wouldn't say the 60-1 is worth the money to fix, or attempt to fix.

We found that out when I called turbonetics, it is either non repairable due to design changes or they want $ 100 to look at it, $290 labor to fix it PLUS whatever parts are needed.
That tells me they really don't want to fix them.
I think I will be talking to Precision today. What do you know about Borg Warner turbos? Ben at AGP recommended the S366RS
I need to get me a quick education on turbo tech.
LOL
Back to top Go down
Samlilly2
Admin
Admin
Samlilly2

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:09 am

If it was a computer I would fix it!!!

Just your friendly Forum Geek Squad here lol.

This is why I use non-ball bearing turbo’s, I have rebuilt probably 20-30 dsm and 20 T-bird snails in my day, I even designed/built a device that load/spooled tested, to breaking the turbos’. Then sent them to an Turbo balancing facility that only charges about 25-40 bucks to balance them.

I made great money junkyard diving for turbos, ect. Then resell then freshly rebuilt for 200-300+ bucks on forums and Ebay. Paid for all my mods in college. lol

All they can do with a ball-bearing turbo is replace the center cartridge (basically the whole damn turbo) That why they say it's out of date, it because they don't have the center cartridge in stock anymore to just swap in.

Just like circuit board now days, you don't repair you replace. Yet a standard bearing 20+ yo turbo can be send in and fully (professionally) refurbished for less than $250.

Don't get me wrong I love the spool characteristics of the ball-bearing, but I old fashion in loving that fact that I can rebuild it and keep going than just swap it out.

-Sammie
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Half Fast Racing wrote:
turbo666 wrote:

We found that out when I called turbonetics, it is either non repairable due to design changes or they want $ 100 to look at it, $290 labor to fix it PLUS whatever parts are needed.
That tells me they really don't want to fix them.
I think I will be talking to Precision today. What do you know about Borg Warner turbos? Ben at AGP recommended the S366RS
I need to get me a quick education on turbo tech.
LOL

Borg Warners are rock solid tanks! They love high boost and are 100% rebuildable, For cheaper than any other turbo on the market... Very easy to work on. They also have interchangeable center cartridges.. making upgrading a few mm's a snap!

Precision Turbo's are works of art, And on custom apps. they are top notch. New billet wheels are breaking records everywhere... But they are expensive and are not cheap to rebuild or as easy to upgrade! They are not solid tanks like the Borg's. Witch may require more up keep costs in the long run also.
Back to top Go down
wowwowweewhoa
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels
wowwowweewhoa

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:16 pm

did someone say food?
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Well we decided to go with the Borg Warner S366 RS from AGP, after speaking with Ben and Jon that seems like a good choice for us.
No Nitrous (yet) maybe some day but just up top. Try to keep the parts in and on the car a little longer maybe.
The head is at the machine shop but it looks like it is good so far, the culprit may end up being the 5 layer gasket. We should know for sure in a day or two or three, you know how THAT goes.
Nigel was kind enough to lend us his cam setting tool that will save a lot of work and time. Thanks Man.
With luck and the turbo getting here we may be back to tuning in a couple of weeks, I sure would like to at least make a couple of full passes this season, That way we will know what to work on over the winter.
On the bright side I bought a plasma cutter I just could not pass up a chance to play with molten metal, and am looking into buying a sheet metal brake to go with the bead roller, I am really enjoying doing the aluminum interior stuff.
Back to top Go down
DSCRACING
Admin
Admin
DSCRACING

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 pm

You could have laid a straight edge on the head and by looking at it you should have been able to tell if it was the studs or gasket.
Back to top Go down
turbo666
Taining Wheels
Taining Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 am

Glad I could help guys! Shaun has me considering that turbo now also. Just waiting for AGP to get back with me. I may call them tomorrow evening.
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:17 am

DSCRACING wrote:
You could have laid a straight edge on the head and by looking at it you should have been able to tell if it was the studs or gasket.

We did and it looked good to us but it never hurts to have the engine builder take a look at it. they are also pressure testing the head to be sure and a new gasket is being made. TKM stood behind it and is doing everything for no charge, Nick is even coming here to help with the head / cam setup.
Back to top Go down
Half Fast Racing
Learner Permit
Learner Permit
Half Fast Racing

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 am

turbo666 wrote:
Glad I could help guys! Shaun has me considering that turbo now also. Just waiting for AGP to get back with me. I may call them tomorrow evening.

Yeah Shawn is excited over the potential that turbo has.
He also mentioned that you may have someone interested in the door skins. let me know did Shawn give you my PH #? if not PM me either here or on the other "forum"
Shawn said you have a pretty mean stang for sale 5 sec 1/8 huh Nice

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old school new member   Old school new member I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old school new member
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next